Note: This CIA Bluebird document is faithfully reproduced. All indents, capitals and underlining are in the original. Some abbreviations are obvious. Others are not known.
SI = sleep induction
H = hypnosis
post-H = post-hypnotic
MORI DocID: 140401 Approximate date January 1, 1952
SUBJECT: Special Research, Bluebird
I. General Problem
For the past several months Bluebird - has been endeavoring to ascertain by research, study, instruction and.. some. practice what value (if any) can be derived from SI and H techniques when applied to war and specific Agency problems. These broad problems; using known SI and H Techniques, may be classified as follows:
Bluebird believes that A (above ) can be answered in the affirmative using SI and H techniques. Bluebird is not fully satisfied with -results to date, but believes with continued work and study remarkable and profitable results con be obtained regularly.
However, B, C, and D (above) are at yet unanswerable although Bluebird is of the opinion that there is a worthwhile chance that all three may at some future date be answered affirmatively. This opinion is supported generally by numerous individuals having knowledge of these techniques and by much literature and intelligence in this field.
Since an affirmative proof of B, C and D would be of incredible value to this agency Bluebird's general problem is to get up, conduct and carry out research (practical - not theoretical) in this direction.
Set out below is one specific proposal aimed at achieving our ends as rapidly as possible and with a maximum of security.
Through internal agency channels, Bluebird was given the name of (deleted) individual of (deleted) extraction and not a citizen of the United States who had been given certain operational security clearance. ((Deleted)) was reported to have done considerable work in SI and H and to have an unusual and interesting general background. ((Deleted)) was also reported as being reliable, trustworthy, a known anti-Communist. In view of the above, and on the instructions of the Director of I&SS, (deleted) was brought to a safe area near headquarters and interviewed, interrogated and observed by Bluebird on 19, 20, 21 February 1951. (Deleted) personality, ability, and intelligence, sincerity and apparent security mindedness were impressive, Bluebird officers were unable to find any indications of deviousness or pro-Soviet interests during these observations. (Deleted) only apparent obvious weaknesses were his foreign background and non-United States citizenship.
According to (deleted) he was born in (deleted) in (next two pages totally blacked out)
(Deleted) discussed at various times his work and interest in the SI and H techniques. He claimed that most of his present work was along the lines of hypotherapy which involves post-H suggestion, but admitted that his experience with drugs, gases, et., in conjunction with SI and H was somewhat limited, although he was familiar with much of the literature (U.S. and foreign) in these fields. (Deleted) admitted that since he had been in the U.S. he had induced H conditions in at least several hundred individuals, male and female (in all age groups). (Deleted) demonstrated successfully some of his operating methods before the B officers on the 19th, 20th, and 21st.
For matter of record (deleted) was briefed on the security aspects of B work and cautioned against all and any discussion outside concerning these mattes. (Deleted) signed the standard secrecy agreement.
III. GENERAL PROPOSALS
On the basis of (deleted) apparent ability, relatively simple and easy cover, background, personality and interest, it is proposed that (deleted) be either directly employed or contractually employed by I&SS for specific purpose of engaging in guided research, testing, and experimentation along SI and H lines under the general direction of the Director of I&SS and under the immediate direction of B.
IV. SPECIFIC PROPOSALS
V. BLUEBIRD - SPECIFIC PROBLEMS
Set out below are specific problem which can only be resolved by experiment, testing and research as proposed in the paragraphs above. These are not in any sense all of the problems B is considering, but are merely typical and point up the need for practical research.
1. Can we "condition" by post-H suggestion agency employees (or persons of interest to this agency) to prevent them from giving information to any unauthorized source or for committing any act on behalf of a foreign or domestic enemy?
2. Can we in a matter of an hour, two hours, one day, etc., induce an H condition in an unwilling subject to such an extent that he will perform an act for our benefit? (Long range).
3. Can we create by post-H control an action contrary to an individual's basic moral principles?
4. Could we seize a subject and in the space of an hour or two by post-H control have him crash an airplane, wreck a train, etc.? (Short, immediate activity)
5. Can we by SI and H techniques force a subject (unwilling or otherwise) to travel long distances, commit specified acts and return to us or bring documents or materials? Can a person acting under post-H control successfully travel long distances?
6. Can we use SI and H to combat fatigue, produce extreme mental effort?
7. Can we guarantee total amnesia under any and all conditions?
8. Can we "alter" a person's Personality? How long will it hold?
9. Can we design tests to determine whether or not an enemy agent has been conditioned by SI and H or any other method?
10. Can we detect SI and H by use of SI and H (regression)?
11. Can we make a "conditioned" subject reveal by SI and H specifically how they were conditioned (drugs, torture, fatigue, hostage pressure, techniques)?
12. Can we devise a system for making unwilling subjects into willing agents and then transfer that control to untrained agency agents in the field by use of codes or identifying signs or credentials?
13. How long can we sustain a post-H suggestion-unaided-with reinforcement?
14. What would be fastest way to induce SI and H conditions - with drugs - or without any mechanical aids?
15. Can we devise a standard simple relatively fast technique for inducing SI and H conditions that can be used by untrained agents (with or without drugs)?
16. Is it possible to find a gas that can be used to gain SI control from a gas pencil, odorless, colorless: one shot, etc.?
17. What are full details on "sleep-inducing machine"?
18. How can sodium A or P or any other sleep inducing agent be best concealed in a normal or commonplace item, such as candy, cigarettes, liqueur, wines, coffee, tea, beer, gum water, aspirin tablets, common medicines, coke, tooth paste?
19. How effective can the "carotid artery technique" be made? Can it be used while subject is unconscious? Is it faster than other techniques?
20. Can we, using SI and H extract complicated formula from scientists, engineers, etc., if unwilling? Can we extract details of gun emplacements, landing fields, factories, mines?
21. Can we, while a subject is under SI and H control, show them a map and have them point out specific items, locations, etc., on the map? Can we also have them make detailed drawings, sketches, plans?
Could any of the above be done under field conditions and in a very short space of time?